This week is Evansville’s first-ever Stromboli Week, featuring nine participating restaurants offering their take on this classic Italian dish. Traditional strombolis are similar to calzones with meats, chesses, and special seasonings wrapped in pizza dough, but Evansville strombolis are anything but traditional.
Typically, the delicious sandwiches you find here are 8 to12 inch hoagie buns filled with tomato sauce, cheese, and ground sausage. Strombolis like this can’t be found anywhere else and are immensely popular in the area (Evansville even holds the record for the world’s largest stromboli). So celebrate this year’s Stromboli Week by nabbing one of these tasty creations from any of the following participating restaurants.
• Texas Stromboli — seasoned sausage, barbeque sauce, and onion on a buttered bun.
• Hot Ham and Cheese Stromboli — sliced ham and melted seasoned cheese on a hoagie bun.
Bob’s International Lounge
• Italian Stallion — sausage, pepperoni, peppers, onion, pizza sauce, and mozzarella cheese wrapped in pizza dough.
• BBQ Stromboli — pulled pork, cheddar, red onions, onion tinglers, and BBQ Ski sauce wrapped in pizza dough.
Chaser’s Bar and Grill
• Stromboli — pizza sauce, Italian sausage, sausage, peppers, onions, and mozzarella and provolone cheeses on a buttered 8-inch bun.
• West Side Stromboli — BBQ sauce, smoked pork, red onion, sweet red peppers, mozzarella, and provolone cheeses on a buttered 8-inch bun.
Dontae’s Highland Pizza Parlor
• The Farva — pizza sauce, crumbled sausage, pineapple, Kentucky Legend Ham, bacon, banana peppers, onions, green peppers, and mozzarella and provolone cheeses on a buttered 8-inch bun.
• The Perk — BBQ sauce, pulled pork onions, candied jalapenos, pineapple, and mozzarella and provolone cheeses on a butter 8-inch bun.
Deerhead Sidewalk Cafe
• Traditional Stromboli — pork sausage on a hoagie bun, served with Italian sauce, onions, green peppers, and mozzarella cheese.
• Chili Stromboli —chili, nacho cheese, pepper jack, onion, banana peppers, and sausage crumbles on a hoagie bun.
• Cajun Stromboli — Cajun meat, mozzarella, Cajun peppers, and pepperoni on a buttered 12-inch bun.
• Philly Stromboli — thinly sliced Philly cheesesteak seasoned steak, blend of cheeses, green pepper, and onion on a buttered 12-inch bun.
Angelo’s Italian Restuarant
• Classic Italian Stromboli — sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and marinara on a 12-inch pizza roll.
• Italian Sausage Stromboli — sliced sausage link, onions, peppers, and mozzarella cheese on a 12-inch pizza roll.
• Stromboli — beef, sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, pepperoni, creole spices, topped with sauce and mozzerella cheese on a buttered 8-inch bun.
• Sink The Bismark — crumbled sausage, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, onions, jalapenos, and sauerkraut on a butter 8-inch bun.
• Stromboli — sausage and mozzarella topped with sauce on a buttered 12-inch bun.
• LyleBoli — original Stromboli loaded with pepperoni, mushrooms, onion, green peppers, and topped with sauce on a butter 12-inch bun.