April 16-22 marks Evansville’s Stromboli Week, in which 11 participating restaurants and food trucks offer their take on this classic Italian dish. Traditional strombolis are similar to calzones with meats, cheeses, and special seasonings wrapped in pizza dough, but Evansville strombolis are anything but traditional.
Typically, the delicious sandwiches you find here are 8-to-12-inch hoagie buns filled with tomato sauce, cheese, and ground sausage. Strombolis like this can’t be found anywhere else and are immensely popular in the area (Evansville even holds the record for the world’s largest stromboli). So, celebrate this year’s Stromboli Week by nabbing one of these tasty creations from any of the following participating restaurants and food trucks.
• Angelo’s Italian Restaurant, 305 Main St.
• Bob’s International Lounge, 907 N. Fares Ave.
• Chaser’s Bar & Grill, 2131 W. Franklin St.
• Deerhead Pizza, 222 E. Columbia St.
• Franklin Street Pizza Factory, 2033 W. Franklin St.
• Joey Za’s Pizza & Steaks food truck
• Riverwalk Restaurant & Catering, 6 Walnut St.
• Roca Bar, 1618 S. Kentucky Ave.
• Spankey’s Una Pizza, 4404 W. Lloyd Expressway
• Steve’s Una Pizza, 1005 S. Saint James Blvd.
• Uncle Ted’s Dang Good Food truck
Can’t decide where to start on this mouthwatering journey? Here are a few recommendations.
Angelo’s Italian Restuarant
• Classic Italian Stromboli — sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and marinara on a 12-inch pizza roll.
• Italian Sausage Stromboli — sliced sausage link, onions, peppers, and mozzarella cheese on a 12-inch pizza roll.
Bob’s International Lounge
• Italian Stallion — sausage, pepperoni, peppers, onion, pizza sauce, and mozzarella cheese wrapped in pizza dough.
• BBQ Stromboli — pulled pork, cheddar, red onions, onion tinglers, and BBQ Ski sauce wrapped in pizza dough.
Chaser’s Bar and Grill
• Stromboli — pizza sauce, Italian sausage, sausage, peppers, onions, and mozzarella and provolone cheeses on a buttered 8-inch bun.
• West Side Stromboli — BBQ sauce, smoked pork, red onion, sweet red peppers, mozzarella, and provolone cheeses on a buttered 8-inch bun.
• Traditional Stromboli — pork sausage on a hoagie bun, served with Italian sauce, onions, green peppers, and mozzarella cheese.
• Chili Stromboli —chili, nacho cheese, pepper jack, onion, banana peppers, and sausage crumbles on a hoagie bun.
*Editor’s Note: This 2021 article was updated to reflect restaurants participating in 2023’s Stromboli Week.