Class in Session

USI, UE, and Ivy Tech report an influx of new students

Fall 2023 enrollment data are in for Evansville’s three major higher education institutions, and all say they are clocking an uptick. Here’s a look at how many people are attending college in Evansville and where they’re coming from.

University of Southern Indiana

USI reports an increase in overall enrollment for the first time in more than a decade, with combined undergraduate, graduate, and dual credit enrollment reaching 9,286, up 1.2 percent from fall 2022.

USI’s first-time, full-time freshman enrollment is 1,283, up 2.6 percent from 2022. Graduate enrollment is a record 1,854, a year-over-year increase of 1.8 percent.

Overall undergraduate enrollment at USI declined 2.3 percent from 2022 to 5,409.

USI has 2,023 students enrolled in dual credit programs at 32 Indiana high schools through the College Achievement Program, up 11.3 percent from 2022. These courses now are offered free to all students; in the past, many courses cost $25 per credit hour.

Students of color and international students comprise a record 18.1 percent of USI’s overall student population, up from last year’s record of 16.9 percent.

USI students come from all but five of Indiana’s 92 counties, and in-state students make up 76 percent of the student body. The remaining 24 percent of students come from 47 states and 40 countries.

“While we celebrate the increase in diversity at the University, we are committed to continually fostering a growing, inclusive community that champions the voices of all,” USI President Ron Rochon says in a news release.

University of Evansville

The incoming freshman class at UE has 462 students, 23 percent more than last fall’s freshman class of 377 students, making it the largest class since 2018. UE says the year-over-year growth is the largest single-year jump in over a decade.

UE has students from 28 states and 26 countries.

“We are bucking the national and regional trends in higher education thanks to our significant investments in new facilities and programs,” President Christopher Pietruszkiewicz says in a news release. “Our efforts to address affordability and access through generous scholarships are helping to attract a wide range of talented students.”

According to the UE website, total enrollment stood at 2,078 students as of fall 2021.

Ivy Tech Community College

The Evansville campus of Ivy Tech Community College reports an enrollment of 9,187 for its current eight-week term as of Sept. 19.

Ivy Tech’s figure includes high school students taking dual credit courses, and it represents an increase of 9.3 percent from this time in 2022. The college reported 73 percent of its students are part-time.

Minus dual credit students, Ivy Tech’s enrollment is 7,136. More than 500 of those are dual enrolled – meaning, they are enrolled as a student at their high school as well as a student with an academic completion plan for a program at Ivy Tech.

Previous article
Next article
Jodi Keen
Jodi Keen
Jodi Keen is the managing editor of Evansville Living and Evansville Business magazines.

Related Articles

Latest Articles