Historic Facelift

After receiving the Indiana Landmarks’ Efroymson Family Endangered Places Grant, the Downtown Evansville Community Development Corporation recently partnered with Indiana Landmarks to investigate preservation options for the Atlantic Building on Fourth Street.

The grant provided 80 percent of costs for up to $2,500 while the Downtown Evansville Community Development Corporation covered the remaining 20 percent of an engineering study completed on the Atlantic Building. Determined structurally sound by engineers, the building’s facade could be preserved even if the interior and rear were reconstructed.

“While saving the whole building is generally the goal, it’s not always structurally or financially feasible, nor suitable to future needs,” says Candice Croix, director of Indiana Landmarks’ Southwest Field Office.

Built in 1869 and listed in the Evansville Downtown Historic District and Historic Resources of Downtown Evansville, the Atlantic Building is on the only remaining intact late-19th century commercial block in Evansville.

“Preserving historical buildings in general promotes positive change in a community — economically, socially, environmentally, and educationally,” says Croix.

Preservation Projects

Previous article
Next article

Related Articles

Latest Articles